The SC Sandlappers’ Dec. 21 Shrine Bowl roster will be revealed at 3 p.m. Sunday on Facebook Live.
Annually selecting the top seniors from over 200 SC High School League schools in five classifications is always an arduous task for each Shrine Bowl staff member. It’s especially difficult when coaches are limited to picking only two players from each school.
Another challenge they face in the coming days is when there’s a plethora of candidates at one position. This is true at the quarterback position where more than a few senior standouts are making a strong case for consideration:
– Hunter Helms (Gray Collegiate): The Holy Cross-bound War Eagle is among the state and national leaders in passing (1,224 yards). He’s averaged 400 yards in all three games played this season and thrown 13 TDs.
– Ty Olenchuk (Dutch Fork): The reigning Lexington County Player of the Year and Clemson-bound pitcher has led the Silver Foxes to three straight Class 5A titles and 28 straight games without a loss. Through three games, he’s thrown for 759 yards and nine TDs and set a school record for career touchdowns (68) against Irmo.
– Jy Tolen (Gilbert): After two seasons sharing duties with Josh Strickland (currently starting at Blythewood), the senior through three games has completed 73 percent of his passes for 1,001 yards, 10 TDs and no interceptions. He also has three rushing touchdowns.
– Aveon Smith (White Knoll): The Miami (OH) commitment has been one of Lexington County’s top dual threat quarterbacks. In leading the Timberwolves to a 3-0 start for the second straight year, he’s thrown for 500 yards and eight TDs, and is second in rushing (208 yards, 3 TDs).
– Roger Pedroni (Chapin): Another dual threat quarterback, the senior Eagle has his team off to a 3-0 start. For the season, he’s thrown for 546 yards and five TDs and rushed for 136 yards and five TDs.
FRIDAY’S H.S. FOOTBALL SCHEDULE FOR LEXINGTON COUNTY/IRMO
(All games start at 7:30 pm)
Gilbert at Airport
White Knoll at Aiken
Mid-Carolina at Batesburg-Leesville
Boiling Springs at Dutch Fork
Gray Collegiate at Oceanside Collegiate
River Bluff at Lugoff-Elgin
Chapin at Newberry
Pelion at Saluda
Lexington at South Aiken
Wade Hampton at Swansea
W.W. King at Palmetto Christian Academy
Newberry Academy at Northside Christian