Public school spring sports participants may learn by April 2 whether they will play again this year.
The S.C. High School League approved a motion to suspend sports activities starting Monday, through April 5. The 17-0 vote fell in line with S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster's decision Sunday to close all public schools until March 31 due to increased concern over the COVID-19/coronavirus.
The suspension includes all contests, practices, workouts (strength and conditioning training) and open season skill development.
SCISA had previously suspended its sporting activities until April 3.
"In order to keep our student-athletes and the education community as safe as possible, stringent measures are now in place by order of the Governor's Office," Commissioner Jerome Singleton said in a statement. "We ask that all schools follow the Executive Order until further notice"
The SCHSL will then reconvene April 2 to review the spring sports schedule and the status of the coronavirus. Singleton made it clear the league is not ready to "cancel" the season and will follow the lead of state officials from the superintendent, Governor and S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Conference offices.
"One of the big things we want to be really be careful of is transporting that virus to other communities," Singleton said. "That was the big piece for us. So we looked at until we can settle and figure what's going on, we want to just suspend the season."
While calling this "unprecedented times", Singleton held out hope for having post-seasons for the various spring sports, should play resume. This would be the case even if the school year is extended into June.
"I have challenged my commissioners to look at a plan and be able to bring something back to me," Singleton said. "We don't know what it looks like yet. Until we can figure out when do we play again, all of that will have an impact on playoffs."
Following the teleconference, the SCHSL announced plans to keep its office on Westpark Boulevard closed until further notice.