The Midlands’ newest Planet Fitness location will open in May at the intersection of Clemson and Hardscrabble roads.
The 23,000-sq-ft. gym is under construction in The Crossings shopping center at the location formerly anchored by Food Lion.
“I feel it’s a growth area of Columbia,” said franchise owner Brian Robenage. “We have a lot of members in northeast Columbia and this will be another option for them.”
Robenage also owns the Planet Fitness locations at Park Center on Two Notch Road and Parkland Plaza in Cayce, as well as one in Orangeburg. The Clemson Road gym will be the fifth Planet Fitness location in the Midlands, joining two others at Dutch Square Mall and East Pointe Plaza on Garner’s Ferry Road.
Robenage has been in the gym industry since 2010 and said Planet Fitness’s business model attracted him to the opportunity.
“I like the environment and the philosophy that anyone can go there and feel comfortable,” he said. “And we’re a stickler on cleanliness.”
A membership presale office will open at the new location in March. Month-to-month rates range from $10 for single location use to $21.99 for any location use.
Planet Fitness was founded in 1992, in Dover, New Hampshire and has more than 1,600 locations in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Dominican Republic, Panama and Mexico.
The gym will use Food Lion’s share of space at The Crossings. Other tenants haven’t yet been contracted, according to leasing agent Lindsay Denny.
- FishWater Beer Garden opens on Lake Murray
- Pier 1 in Columbia to hold liquidation sale before permanently closing
- Verde opens in Columbia offering artisan salads, wraps
- Coroner identifies Columbia motorcyclist in fatal collision
- Veteran-owned Shortcake Bakery & Tea Room coming to Columbia's Vista
- Lexington Marine Corps gathers at gravesite to honor Medal of Honor recipient
- Blythewood to offer free masks, gloves to town residents
- Riverbanks Zoo & Garden reopens with restrictions
- Columbia mayor discusses city's decisions amid COVID-19 at GCWC chamber breakfast
- Coroner identifies 67-year-old in fatal Columbia collision
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.