Bank robbery suspects shot multiple times at Richland County Sheriff’s Deputies Thursday, according Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott.
“The bad guys tried to kill two of our deputies,” Lott said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.
The officers were not injured, but Lott said a lot of rounds were fired at them. “There were shell casings all over the place where they started shooting,” he said.
The suspects, the sheriff’s department said, robbed the AllSouth Federal Credit Union at 1280 Roberts Branch Parkway, near the Killian Road exit on I-77.
The suspects drove off and deputies, with descriptions from the bank’s staff, Deputies Chris Duke and Bryan McAdams pursued the suspects.
The suspects drove to a cul-de-sac in the Heather Green Subdivision, close to Longleaf Middle School.
There, the three suspects got out of the car, said Lott, and fired multiple shots at Duke and McAdams, who were still in the vehicle.
Lott said the shooters intended to kill the officers. “We’re very fortunate that our deputies did not get killed today.”
Duke fired shots back at the men and hit one of them in the leg.
The suspects then got into a second car that was waiting for them and left the scene.
Deputies chased the suspects to Highway 277, and to Wilson Boulevard. Lott said during the chase, other motorists were run off the road by the suspects. Officers eventually used a pit maneuver to force the suspects’ car to crash.
Deputies were then able to catch the suspects. One of the suspects had gunshot wounds to his thigh and calf. Lott said the injuries are not serious.
The suspects, who were in a stolen car from Orangeburg, said Lott.
- Lexington Medical Center fires employee over social media post
- Aftermath of damage in Columbia's Vista (photo gallery)
- Columbia barbecue buffet manager builds 24 ft. wall to accommodate dine-in customers
- Mungo Homes, trade partners rebuilding Ballentine Pelican's Snoballs for free after fire
- Vandals damage Vista businesses after protest becomes violent
- Man stole pallets of crab legs after tying up, robbing security guard, says LCSD
- Ristorante Divino moving to new location with new name, enhanced menu
- Peaceful State House protest followed by violence at police headquarters
- Truck with oversized load hits Koon Road bridge over I-26, bridge now closed
- FishWater Beer Garden opens on Lake Murray
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.