Columbia Metropolitan Airport will now be offering free masks for travelers. The masks are courtesy of the U.S. Department of Transportation, which recently announced the distribution of cloth facial masks to the aviation, transit and transportation sectors for passenger use.
“We appreciate this needed resource from DOT/Federal Aviation Administration (FAA),” said CAE Executive Director, Mike Gula. “We are working every day to ensure the safety of our travelers and having free masks available for passengers’ aids in our commitment to the well-being of everyone traveling through CAE.”
CAE received 55,000 facial coverings. The masks are available at no cost to travelers and are available at the information desk in the main lobby and in line at the TSA security checkpoint.
American Airlines, Delta Airlines and United Airlines is requiring passengers to wear a mask or face covering onboard their flights. Airlines have said that any passenger without a face mask or covering will be provided one at no charge.
CAE will continue to seek the Centers for Disease Control and SCDHEC for guidance, updates and information pertaining to COVID-19.
Additional precautions taken by CAE include:
- Hand sanitizer stations placed throughout the terminal and at all departures
- Restroom cleaning every one to two hours
- Increased sanitizing in the public seating areas and high touch areas such as handrails, escalators and elevator buttons
- Food concessions serving a limited menu, practicing social distancing for diners
- Plexiglass shields installed at airline counters, retail shops, TSA checkpoints and the restaurant
- Social distancing markings on the floor throughout the airport
Updated information is available online and on CAE’s social media.