Berkley Bryant crowned Miss Teen South Carolina Friday night
Berkley Bryant, Miss River City Teen, won the Miss Teen South Carolina crown Friday night at Township Auditorium.
Bryant, 17, won a $10,000 scholarship and will represent the Palmetto State next month in the America’s Outstanding Teen competition in Orlando.
A panel of judges chose Berkley, a National Honor Society member, based on fitness, health, intelligence, style and talent.
Bryant dazzled judges and crowd alike with a black and white evening gown and with her tap dance to “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars in the talent competition.
“’I’ve been tap dancing ever since I started taking dance classes at three years old, so sharing my talent onstage is something I always look forward to,” she said.
Miss Columbia Teen Julia Herrin was the first runner-up, followed by Miss Clemson Teen Halie Duncan, Miss Greater Greer Teen Kellan Finnegan and Miss North Charleston Teen Allie Richardson.
Finnegan also won the Chaz Ellis Style Award and the award for highest score in the evening gown portion of the competition. Livi Thomas, Miss Fort Mill High School Teen, won the talent competition with her baton twirling performance.
Miss Myrtle Beach Teen Sarah Carroll won the Most Congenial award. In the Pageant Spirit category, the judges were unable to choose a single winner and chose to sponsor a second award, with Miss Georgetown County Teen Hannah Young and Miss Florence Teen Noel Dotson each receiving a prize.
All the runners-up and category award winners also received scholarships thanks to the Miss South Carolina organization and the pageant sponsors.
The Miss South Carolina competition begins Saturday at 8 p.m. at the Township, with a spot in the Miss America pageant on the line.
Photos by Allen Wallace:
1. Miss SC Teen 2017 Ally McCaslin crowns her successor
2. Bryant’s reaction to the big moment
3. Happy tears as she puts on the Miss SC Teen sash
4. First walk down the runway as Miss SC Teen 2018
5. Hugs from the other contestants
6. The top five awaiting the judges’ decision
7. Miss Greater Greer Teen Kellan Finnegan, the evening gown competition winner
8. Livi Thomas, Miss Fort Mill High School Teen, keeping multiple batons in the air during her talent competition-winning performance