Gov. Henry McMaster announces job fairs to help displaced VC Summer workers
The team will begin holding job fairs to assist those affected by the suspension of the VC Summer nuclear reactor project. The first event will be held in Chapin on Monday, Aug. 14.
Employ SC will provide South Carolinians in search of jobs with an opportunity to connect with state agencies and workforce development groups focused on matching prospective employers with talented workers that fit their needs. Every cabinet agency with current vacancies will also be represented and will be ready to interview prospective employees. Local businesses with vacancies will also participate.
SCE&G graphic of VC Summer construction.
“For South Carolinians, the shuttering of VC Summer comes as a jarring break of faith – not only for the thousands of employees now searching for jobs after a decade of construction, but for millions of consumers whose power bills are paying for a project that will never be completed.
“Employ SC is a dynamic, rapid response coalition of public and private organizations that will connect former employees with employers and available jobs. We will not rest until we have exhausted every avenue for those affected.
“South Carolinians have faced and overcome many challenges, and we take care of each other – especially in hard times. I ask everyone to join me in once again showing those outside our state what it means to be one of us.”
Details for future Employ SC events will be announced at a later date.
Organizations confirmed to be in attendance:
- South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce
- South Carolina Department of Corrections
- South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation
- South Carolina Department of Transportation
- South Carolina Department of Administration
- South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services
- South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- South Carolina Department of Insurance
- South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice
- South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
- South Carolina Department of Probation, Pardon, and Parole
- South Carolina Department of Public Safety
- South Carolina Department of Revenue
- South Carolina Department of Social Services
- South Carolina Technical College System
- South Carolina Department of Education
- Duke Energy
- Georgia Pacific
- United Infrastructure Group
WHO: Gov. Henry McMaster, S.C. state agencies, local businesses
WHAT: Employ SC Job Fair
WHEN: Monday, August 14 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
WHERE: The Center for Advanced Technical Studies, 916 Mt Vernon Road, Chapin, S.C.